Migration is an everlasting global phenomenon that carries a combination of challenges and opportunities for the host societies. In contemporary European societies, the management of migration, the promotion of migrants’ integration and the migrants’ productive participation in the local economy, constitute the primary objectives of Local Authorities’ policies and services. In this context, a group of academic institutions, non-governmental organizations and local authorities, have undertaken the establishment and development of the European Municipalities Network (MuNet).
The overall aim of the network is to become the central platform in the European Union for exchange of information and best practices among Local Authorities of the member States, and to contribute to the development of a common strategy for management and integration of the migrants Third Country Nationals (TCNs) at the local society.
The specific objectives of the Network are:
- to upgrade, strengthen and further develop the multilateral cooperation between Local Authorities from EU states
- to develop activities for communication, cooperation, training and information exchange among EU Local Authorities
- to map, collect and share knowledge and practices
- to empower the members of the Network, which can effectively address common challenges and propose initiatives for migration management and integration
- to create “contact points” between local authorities across the EU, and
- to maximize the information and dissemination of the network members.
The European Municipalities Network is managed by the international, non-profit organization CARDET, in collaboration with the University of Nicosia, the Cyprus Municipalities of Pafos, Engomi, Ayios Athanasios, Ayios Dhometios and Deryneia, and the consultancy firm INNOVADE.
Interested representatives from Local Authorities, and organizations dealing with migration issues may join the Network by registering at the online platform www.municipalitiesnet.eu.
Through the online platform, registered members, will have the opportunity to connect with other members, get information on migration and Local Authorities’ issues, access online training opportunities, and develop partnerships to implement actions under relevant European Funds.
The Action “Intra-European Network of Municipalities”, (Action D1, EIF, Annual Program 2013) is co-funded by the European Integration Fund (95%) and the Republic of Cyprus (5%). The Network has been developed within the context of the Action “European Municipalities Network”, (Action D1, European Integration Fund, Annual Programme 2013) and it is co-funded by the European Integration Fund (95%) and the Republic of Cyprus (5%).